Monday, March 19, 2012

DIY Project Updates!

I realize it has been FOREVER since I've written a post and I have a ton of things to get caught up on so I figured what better place to start than updates from some of my previous blogs!

The first update I have is for cleaning products. I had a little trouble with the consistency of the shower cleaner I started making back in January. The product cleaned great, but was hard to use with a spray bottle so I started searching for something just as good in the clean department and even better efficiency-wise. Here's what I found...
This cleaner uses dish soap and white vinegar. If you're into keeping the chemicals out of your products, I would suggest the organic dawn dish soap; however, it is a little pricey so if you're more into saving money just the wal-mart dish soap works great. The measurements for each aren't precise, and I swear there really isn't a science to it. I just mix half the soap with half of the vinegar. You need more vinegar than soap to keep the consistency liquidy enough and if you use half of each the consistency should be perfect. I store mine in the original soap container after I have mixed it and squirt it into the shower, scrub and rinse! Here's a picture of my last batch...just remember to shake it before you use it and you should be good to go!


The next update I have is for my homemade toothpaste. The last recipe called for baking soda, salt, water and peppermint essential oil. In place of the salt, this time I used stevia which is a safe, organic sugar. It makes the homemade toothpaste taste more like store-bought toothpaste, so you don't have to get used to the salty taste of the other recipe. I am still having trouble using a pump bottle with this mixture, but it works great in a tupperware with a lid too! Here's a picture while it was still in the pump bottle, it worked in here for 2-3 days before it needed to be stirred again.


Those are the only updates I've made so far! My laundry soap, homemade deodorant and cleaning supplies are holding up nicely! I'm looking forward to posting some spring break projects soon! Our current project is DIY chalkboard paint for our pantry doors!

Happy Spring Break!
-Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment