Friday, January 6, 2012

Home Toothpaste...of the peppermint and cinnamon variety!

Tonight I tried a new homemade recipe. I have only tried it once but I loved it so much that I decided it was ok to go ahead and post the recipes!

Both of these recipes are incredibly cheap and easy to make! I have to admit, the first attempt gave me somewhat of a headache as I tried to make the toothpaste work in a handsoap dispenser (as I had seen in a previous blog) but once I figured out that just wasn't feasible it all went quite smoothly!

So...here are the recipes!

Peppermint Flavored Toothpaste
2/3 c baking soda
4 tsp FINE sea salt (sea salt adds extra scrubbing power, but makes the toothpaste taste a little salty, so it's up to you wether or not you put this in...the recipe will work without it.)
1-2 tsp peppermint extract (or peppermint essential oil works too...I prefer the oil because it's better for you but it is pretty expensive. One bottle costs about $6 but it does last for a really long time. The choice is up to you!)
an old tupperware or storage container

Mix all the ingredients together and add water until you get the desired texture. Warning...add very little water then stop and stir. Repeat until you get the right texture. If you add too much water at once you will end up having to add extra baking soda and end up with a batch as large as the one shown in the photo...lol! Pour into a container to store.

Just a head's up...the toothpaste is not the exact same texture as store bought toothpaste and it has a different taste, mostly because of the salt. If you can get past the taste, I promise the benefits of having this super CHEAP toothpaste will pay off! It works as a whitener as well, and I promise you my teeth feel just like I had them cleaned at the dentist! This stuff is great!


Cinnamon Toothpaste
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp water
an old tupperware or storage container

Mix all ingredients together and store. Make sure you stir the mixture really well. If you don't, it will appear as if it needs more water when it really doesn't. Also, this recipe doesn't make a lot ( as you can tell by the amount of ingredients ). The recipe I made shown in the picture below is the recipe tripled. Since it's so easy and made out of cheap stuff typically found around the house, why not go ahead and make a bigger batch!


Lastly, after I had mixed both of my batches I used some left over sticker letters, a piece of computer paper and packing tape to make a label for each of the jars. Go ahead, call me anal but I like my organization! Incase you're wondering, the Ctp stands for Cinnamon toothpaste lol! I couldn't fit all of that on the small tupperware!

Happy toothpaste making! Enjoy that fresh, just-came-from-the-dentist feeling next time you brush your teeth!

As always, I would love to hear from you! Stories...Ideas...etc!

-Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment