Friday, January 6, 2012

Homemade Deodorant!

My other new experiment for the day was homemade deodorant! I can't decide which is my favorite...the toothpaste or the deodorant! This definitely gave me one of those "why am I just now finding out about this??" moments!

The first side note I have is that this recipe is made with coconut oil. I haven't been able to find it anywhere but the local health food store yet, so it was a little more expensive than I would have liked (no more than buying deodorant at the store) but it did cost almost $6 for the coconut oil itself. With that said, I should mention that this recipe makes enough to last the length of at least 3 or 4 regular deodorants and therefore outweighs the cost of the coconut oil. Finally, Wal-Mart and Target both claim to sell coconut oil in some form but both stores have been out of stock for a few days. Hopefully they will get "re-stocked" before it's time to make the next batch!

Anyways...moving on!

This recipe is super simple and (with the exception of coconut oil) made from really cheap products, most of which you may already have stored at your house! So here it is!

Homemade Deodorant
1/4 c baking soda
1/4 c cornstarch
5 tbs coconut oil
(If you want a certain smell to your deodorant, you can add a few drops of essential oil as well.)

Mix all ingredients together and store. Now, my coconut oil came with 10 tbs so I just doubled the recipe and put the mixture back into my nice glass coconut oil jar (after I had rinsed it out, of course!). You could also store this in an old tupperware, just like the toothpaste.



One thing that needs to be mentioned is in regards to the texture and application of this deodorant. Depending on how cold or hot you keep your house will determine the solidity of the deodorant itself. Don't worry...if you keep your house relatively warm and the deodorant is softer it works just as well! Similarly, if the temperature is colder in your house the deodorant will appear more like the texture of store bought deodorant.

To apply this deodorant, all you need to do is rub a little bit on with your fingers. It doesn't feel much different than store bought deodorant and dries quickly. Although it dosen't have a particularly strong scent, it keeps you smelling nice and fresh!

It was worked great for me so far! I have also read numerous blogs of people that have problems with sweating too much and having to use prescription strength deodorant and they say that this works better than most prescription strength deodorants out there!!

So what do you have to loose?? Give it a try and let me know how it works for you!

Happy Weekend!
-Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment