Sunday, February 12, 2012

Homemade Body Wash...finally!

I have been searching for a homemade body wash recipe that works for weeks now and I have finally found one! After a ton of failed attempts I am so happy to share this successful recipe with you all!

Chances are I am going to keep playing around with it until I find a slightly cheaper, slightly suds-ier recipe, but this recipe works great as it is!

Here's the recipe:
1. One bar of Dr. Bronner's eucalyptus soap. I bought mine off ebay for $3.99 and chose eucalyptus because it has a "clean" scent that both Shaun and I could use.

2. Grate one half of the bar into a pan and melt over low heat. Once it melts allow the soap to boil for 4-5 minutes. (I had to add in a little water as I went along to help it melt without burning.)
3. Add in about 1 1/2 c water and a few drops of essential oil if you'd like. Mix thoroughly.
4. Let sit over night.
5. When you go to stir your soap in the morning you will notice that it has turned into a gel-like consistency. Mix with a whisk and return to stove to boil.
6. Boil for 4-5 minutes again, adding another 1 1/2 c water as it cooks. Once it is mixed and has finished boiling, remove from heat and stir every few minutes until it cools.
7. Pour soap mixture into a pump bottle until it is 3/4 of the way full. Finish filling the pump bottle with water.
8. Store the remaining mixture in an air-tight container and store at room temperature.
9. One or two pumps on your shower pouf and you are good to go!

Here's a picture of how much soap one half of a bar made. I used some empty oxy-clean containers (left over from making laundry detergent) to store what was left over.


Since I made this recipe I have discovered that Castile soap can be purchased at Wal-Mart for around $3 for a 3-pack, so next time, in order to reduce the cost I plan on using that soap. In the mean time I still have half a bar of soap left from the original recipe and it's looking like the batch I have will last quite a while.

I would LOVE to hear any homemade soap/body wash recipes you have!

-Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment